Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek - USS Enterprise NCC1701E

Star Trek - USS Enterprise NCC 1701 E



Here is the U.S.S ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-E. I completed it at the end of 1998 after about 4 months on and off. It was such a daunting paint job and I wanted to get it right so I took my time and I think it paid off. This is how I would have liked the Defiant model to have turned out but it took so long and I still have Voyager to build yet which is very similar. With the picture above I just held the model in my room with one hand and photographed it with the other, then imported it into PhotoShop and cut out the background and replaced it with the star background. I then added a bit of a glow to the warp nacelles and a blue hue to the white windows, then added the lens flare and darkened everything a little.


The construction was quite involved and required quite a bit of filling and a little re-modelling around the nacelle pylon area. I painted the clear plastic pieces on both sides with clear red and blue paint and then backed them with self adhesive silver reflective tape to give them some life. The tape was left over from another model with a lighting kit and they look great in natural light. One problem I had was the deflector dish did not stick properly and fell into the hull of the ship.


I had to use a bit of Blue-Tak on the end of a pen to pull it back into position and glue it properly. Once everything was glued, filled and sanded down I sprayed the whole thing with a couple of coats of grey primer (after masking the clear plastic bits). I then sprayed the final light grey, using car spray paint, and left the thing to dry for a few days. Then came the tedious job of picking out all the panels with three different shades of gray. This was all done by hand, following the guide in the kit, however looking at the finished model now it is not as accurate as it could have been and some of the panels should be darker.


Once I had finished the hull panels I started on the windows, painting them Gloss white or matt black at random. There are hundreds of them and some are so tiny I used a cocktail stick to dab the paint on. I found the best approach was to paint the window and then re-paint the gray panel to cover up any mistakes. I had to do this in lots of short sittings because after about twenty minutes I got so bored that I would start to loose my concentration. The windows alone took a couple of weeks

The final task was the transfer decals. There are quite a lot of these and this took a couple of sittings to complete. The main difficulty here was getting all the red lines straight and I found they did not stick to the light grey areas very well so they had to be completely dry before I could handle the model or else they would slip. The main NCC 1701-E logo's on the top and bottom were a bit of a challenge also because they lie on top of little ribs that stuck up out of the hull, so I just had to be patient with them.

I finished the decals with the life pods and the very tricky red arcs around the edge of the phaser banks. I need to give the model a coat of lacquer but I will wait till the weather gets a little warmer first. I enjoyed this project but it did drag on a little but the finished model is superb, Picard would be proud !

No comments:

Post a Comment