Thursday, May 14, 2009

NASA Space Shuttle

NASA Space Shuttle


This model was very quickly constructed and painted whilst I was finishing another model. I was getting fed up and this seemed like the ideal diversion. The bay originally opened to reveal the Canada arm and a small satellite but I sealed the doors in the closed position. The basic construction was very simple but required a little filler around the bay doors and wings. I properly spent more time painting the base than the Shuttle itself, it is modelled like the earth so I spent a little while on the polar cap and clouds.



I once saw a Space Shuttle waiting to lift off on it's launch pad but was unable to stay to see it take off. I would like to see one launch one day but of course I would really love to fly in one! My Shuttle is called Discovery, with the kit you have the option to use the names Atlantis or Endeavour as they supply decals for both. I would have liked it if they had included the prototype name Enterprise.

With the shuttle Atlantis currently in orbit on it's mission to service the Hubble Space Telescope it is apt that I publish this model. I made it many years ago not long after I had been to the Kennedy Space Centre and there was a shuttle on the launch pad. it was a fantastic sight but I cant imagine what it must be like to actually be on board let alone see it take off.

I have been watching the current mission on NASA TV and following one of the Astronauts via Twitter (Astro_Mike). It's strange the momentum of of progress into space seems so slow, when the actual vehicles are so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment