Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Star Trek - (ETRL) USS Enterprise-D Model

Star Trek - (ETRL) USS Enterprise-D Model



This is my USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D. I completed it about fifteen years ago and it was the first model I had attempted since I was a boy. I started it when Star Trek The Next Generation was showing on Sky Television every day at five PM. I used to work a split shift and it was during the middle three hours when I did all the work.



As this was the first model I had attempted for many years I had to develop techniques on the fly. I had now glue or paint and no idea what to expect. the first problem I came across was when the saucer section did not fit the main engineering section. Instead of filling the gaps I poured glue into them and painted over the cracks to hide the joints. The technique worked well but in later models I used filler as the paint tended to shine a little over the 'glue' cracks!



The colors are not 100% true to life but I was more than impressed with the finished model. One of the things I would have liked would have been lights in this kit, however ERTL did not issue any until some time later. My brother eventually got the kit with lights, but he has not finished it yet.

DLP Guitars - Handmade in Birmingham, England

No comments:

Post a Comment